Cheating: If You Want To Lose Weight, You Have To..Cheat?
Nobody likes cheaters! And what if the cheater is going to cheat a little bit not to get something by dishonest means, but vice versa – to lose something? When it comes to kilograms, “deceptive” method of dietary cheating is flawless from the moral point of view, and, judging by the reviews, is quite effective. What the nutritionists think about this weight loss method?
Cheaters find it easy to diet, because they always know exactly when “holiday of disobedience” comes to their street, and when they will have the possibility to break away!
Cheating is an original method of metabolism “boosting”.
We are offered to misguide our own body. Cheating theorists believe that if you have stopped losing weight, you have to start… eating!
The more the better, and it is often recommended to switch to quite non-dietetic foods, like:
It is important not to prolong “Tummy feast” longer than 48 hours (main types of cheating reserve for this purpose a whole weekend or one of the weekend days) and make it with strict intervals of no less than a week.
4 Goals Of Cheating
1. Use the “planned breakdown” to avoid psychological pressure that often pursues women on diet.
2. Reduce the risk of deficiency of nutrients and macronutrients (especially fats), typical of low-calorie and strict diets.
3. Exclude the possibility of “plateau effect”, i.e. stop of the weight loss progress.
4. Diversify your weight loss diet, making it less monotonous and potentially longer.
Why is the hormone angry? Because someone is starving.
Judging by the reviews on cheating, the psychological moment is the most attractive thing about it. Eating behavior of women is heavily dependent on hormonal status and the phase of the menstrual cycle.
Many women, who are trying to lose weight permanently, recognize the following situation:
- today, you are cheerful and determined to eat single arugula till the end of your life,
- tomorrow, a whole cake disappears like magic, followed by another cake and a milkshake.
Indeed, often you are not the one to blame. Well, rather, not all of you, but your ovulation regulating mechanisms.
As arranged by nature, female body needs:
- fat for a proper formation of the yellow body,
- carbohydrates to maintain an optimal level of the process energy.
This ancient call also makes us reach to the desired forbidden pack of fries, completely forgetting about the bikini of our dreams and weeks of weight loss efforts.
Sucking emptiness in your stomach can often be caused by:
- stress and lack of sleep,
- seasonal affective disorder (it is the lack of sun),
- gastritis and gastric ulcer.
Therefore, before you make the decision that the gastronomic “indulgence” in the form of cheating will allow you to better control yourself and lose weight, it would be very useful if you consult an endocrinologist and a gastroenterologist.
The endocrinologist may help you cope with the “plateau stage”, which is a nightmare for those who decided to lose weight. “Plateau” in one or another manifestation is a side effect of almost any long-term diet.
The reasons for the fact that the weight loss, which started in a very enthusiastic mode, stops at a standstill, and even starts growing back again, even while you are complying with a very meager menu and even more active exercise, is not mystical.
- Again, the responsibility lies on the hormones that regulate cellular metabolism and the heads of fat deposits.
After they realize that your recent menu is much more modest than usual, and the accumulated fat is consumed, they decide that their “hostess” is in trouble. So, they not just block the use of fat reserves, but try to create new ones with every last effort.
It is assumed that cheating is deceiving namely the above-mentioned process. The “sop” thrown to your body in time in form of a change in the eating plan (for example, switching from protein to carbohydrate) or an increase in the daily caloric intake of your diet lulls the vigilance of your hormones.
They decide that the problems are over, the body is fed again, and you they can let go of the fat.
By the moment your metabolism gets the catch and decides to lock bins once again, a new cheating-day arrives. This is the argument that we hear from the supporters “of dietary cheating”, who fear the effect of “plateau”.
Varieties of cheating: many options, single essence
The idea of cheating as a kind of opposition for fasting days is quite clear. However, there is a number of practical approaches to it with their different nuances. Here are the most common and popular among them.
CHEATING BY PAUL RIVAS – “THE CHEATER’S DIET”
American expert on obesity, Paul Rivas, has introduced the word “cheating” in the official dietary dictionary. Having published his “cheater’s diet” in 2005 that instantly became popular, he became the first in a series of theorists and fans of “metabolic swing”, who offered to “decorate” the low-caloric eating system the same as they do in the Mediterranean diet.
Yet, it involves consuming reduced carbohydrate component, the “holiday of disobedience” with:
- peanut butter,
- ice cream,
CHEATING BY JOEL MARION – “THE CHEAT TO LOSE DIET”
Bodybuilder Joel Marion suddenly became famous as a writer, and a very talented one. For his book “Cheat To Lose” that was published in 2008, he collected many interesting medical evidence.
Joel experienced the idea of intervention in hormonal processes using a “carbohydrate roller coaster”:
- six days a week he ate lots of useful low-calorie food, gradually increasing the amount of carbs in it,
- on the seventh day, he was having a “breakdown” with his favorite dishes.
Working out in gym at the same time, once plump Joel brought himself in the “ready-for-sale” condition in just 16 weeks, and hastened to share his bribing dietary discovery with the entire world.
The book became a bestseller. Gratitude to the author was expressed by such celebrities as Chris Hemsworth, Megan Fox and many others.
Cheating by Powell trainers – “Carb cycling: The Classic Cycle”
This weight loss plan was designed by the spouses Heidi and Chris Powell, who are experts in sports nutrition. It is one of the varieties of protein-carb alternation diet, which is hyper-popular in the fitness environment.
The approach requires attention and calories calculation. “Classic Cycle” is a plan for 12 weeks:
- you start with a luxury cheating day with 2500 calories, when you can load up with what your heart desires,
- for six days you have to alternate protein (1200 kcal) and carbohydrate (1500 kcal) days,
- complete their shift with the seventh day, which allows “eating” 2000 kcal from any source.
- on the eighth day, the cycle is repeated.
You have to go on like this for three months.
CHEATING BY MARISSA LIPPERT – “LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO CHEW ON CELERY”
Food blogger and TV chef from New York offers a hedonistic approach to cheating. Her author’s technique is a typical “delicious” low-caloric diet, which is proposed to follow 8 weeks.
Marissa promises that you will lose weight easily and cheerfully, if you:
- eat light various foods,
- twice a week allow yourself a “peccadillo” in the form of a portion of your
- favorite and cherished high-caloric food.
“But let it be not a muck from the vending machine, but the most beautiful cupcake in the world!” – admonishes Lippert her followers.
She also generously allows them to occasionally enjoy alcohol:
- you can drink a portion of lager or wine with lots of ice.
What are the opinions of professionals about cheating?
1. “If a diet is developed correctly, you don’t need to cheat”
Let’s compare the cheating diet system with the basic model of a low-calorie diet plan.
- 3-4 protein meals,
- 500 grams of vegetables and fruits,
- 1 side dish of cereals, pasta, potatoes or bakery (only for breakfast, for choice),
- 3 fermented milk product
- a serving of soup.
The list is rather pleasant, isn’t it?
At the same time, the caloric value of this set does not exceed 1500 calories and fills the daily need for essential nutrients. Such eating system is quite comfortable, which allows observing it for weeks and even months. It helps you generate the correct eating behavior.
You can not say the same thing about the cheating system. Needless to say, it’s a pure “cheating”.
Firstly, it is not clear what the cheating followers eat during the rest of the days. However, it is clear that this eating system is not suitable for them, since it legalizes and justifies regular breakdowns. If the selected weight loss diet plan is makes it hard for you to follow, it means that this diet is not “yours”, so stop torturing yourself!
Cheating system is similar to swing –
- 4-5 days we lose weight,
- we bring ourselves to a breakdown with a carbs-fat “loading”
- 4-5 days try to get rid of its consequences.
Is it not easier to distribute these carbohydrates along the entire week by one serving in the morning, in addition to breakfast, or as a snack 2-3 hours after breakfast? In such quantities, these calories will not come in excess and will allow you to do without the so much awaited “loading”.
According to this opinion, cheating system is an example of an eating disorder. Self-deception to justify the inevitable failures that are not weighed down by guilt. Such weight loss method undermines the health in general and in particular the digestive system.
2. “This idea does have a grain of truth, but you can find a better solution”
In this situation, we can draw an analogy with the clothes:
- we have everyday clothes, which we wear during the working days,
- we have festival clothes that we wear for special occasions.
The same goes for eating system. The main goal of food is to provide our body with all the essential macro and microelements, so we need to eat in a balanced and proper way. However, many of us have come to expect pleasure from certain taste sensations. The sensations are most often associated with foods and dishes that are undesirable from the dieting standpoint.
Thus, in a special case it is sometimes better to allow yourself consuming harmful goodies instead of bringing the process to inevitable failure.
- The usual recommendation is to eat a portion of something you are dreaming of when you have a very strong desire to do so. This will help you get rid of the obsession and avoid more serious violations.
However, you are allowed to consume the “forbidden fruit” only once a week, for example, on Saturday or Sunday, and then you should continue eating properly. It is best if you eat the treat in the first part of the day, followed by a more active day (house chores, long walk, or a bicycle ride).
Eating “junk” all day long is something you should definitely avoid. If you do so, all your efforts to lose weight in a week can go awry. If you still decided to cheat and “loaded” yourself to the fullest, it does make sense to make every effort for wasting that extra energy you have received.
You can burn the caloric value of an average piece of cake weighing 100g by:
- half hour of brisk walking,
- an hour of active dancing,